Individuals with chronic conditions often rely on a variety of services and supports. Care coordination is the process through which each individual receives the appropriate level of care at the right time and right place.
Mental health medication management
In addition to therapy, prescribed medications are valuable in the treatment of mental health, addiction and co-occurring diagnosis. When properly managed, medication has shown to alleviate symptoms and prevent relapses related to mental health or addiction. Medications can also help patients minimize cravings and maintain sobriety.
What you can expect:
- Prior to any medication management plan, every client will have to complete an initial assessment with one of our therapists. If there is a more urgent need, please visit our Crisis and Recovery Center.
- Typically, an individual will first be referred to a psychiatrist or nurse practitioner, who will then assess and determine whether medications are warranted.
- Our staff will send the prescription to the pharmacy of your choice, handle any prior authorizations for insurance, and call in refills as needed.
- There is an adjustment period at first when medication treatment begins. This is followed by the maintenance period.
- In order to manage refills and adjust medication levels, regular appointments with our care team are required.
To maximize the benefits of medication treatment, we help those we care for understand the potential benefits and costs associated with medication use. All medications should be administered as prescribed by a mental health professional.
Taking medication is not substance abuse. Some people in recovery may think it is wrong to take any medications. However, a medication that manages one’s mood is very different from a drug that alters one’s mood.
A mental health or addiction crisis can’t wait for normal business hours. Our Crisis Services are available around the clock whenever the need arises.
Need help navigating our mental health services?
At Citizen Advocates, we work as a team to provide the best individual, person-centered services to the people we serve. Care coordination assists clients with identifying and accessing the services that will assist them in addressing the problems they are experiencing, or that will help them to achieve a higher quality life or level of functioning.Go to Care Coordination »