November 15 marks America Recycles Day. On this day, individuals, communities and organizations across the country unite to celebrate and promote recycling – a simple yet powerful act that significantly impacts our planet’s health and dramatically affects our overall health.
Understanding the Importance of Recycling
Recycling is a commitment to preserving our environment for future generations. By recycling, we reduce the need for extracting, refining and processing raw materials, all of which create substantial air and water pollution. As an organization, Citizen Advocates understands that our role in environmental conservation is crucial.
The Benefits of Recycling
- Conservation of Natural Resources: Recycling conserves natural resources like timber, water and minerals, ensuring their availability for the future.
- Energy Savings: Producing products from recycled materials typically requires less energy than making them from new materials.
- Reduced Landfill Waste: Recycling diverts waste from landfills and incinerators, decreasing pollution and extending landfill lifespans.
- Economic Benefits: Recycling stimulates the economy by creating jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries.
Citizen Advocates’ Environmental Advocacy
At Citizen Advocates, we believe access to clean air, clean water and a sustainable environment is a human right. These core rights have been shown to significantly affect overall health. We support legislation aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions and supporting environmental justice.
Locally, we have launched initiatives to reduce our carbon footprint and actively educate our team members and the people we support about the benefits of recycling and how to do it effectively.
How You Can Participate in America Recycles Day
- Start Recycling: If you haven’t already, start recycling at home. Separate your waste into recyclables, compost and trash.
- Educate Yourself and Others: Learn more about what can and cannot be recycled and share this knowledge with family and friends.
- Reduce and Reuse: Before recycling, consider if you can reduce your waste or reuse items.
- Participate in Local Events: Many communities host special events for America Recycles Day. Participate in or volunteer for these events.
- Promote Recycling in Schools and Workplaces: Help spread the word about the benefits of recycling.
As we commemorate America Recycles Day, Citizen Advocates reaffirms its dedication to environmental responsibility. We recognize that our actions, no matter how small, can make a significant difference. We invite you to join us in this endeavor, embracing recycling not just as an act, but as a lifestyle that safeguards our planet.
Together, let’s make every day a recycling day.